I am very particular about purses and bags. My friends are always poking fun at my purse quirks, but I stick to them. These are my requirements:
1) The straps must be long enough to put over my shoulder and not rub my arm. I do not use messenger bag style single handle bags because they tend to rub against my clothing or my skin as I walk. This puts me in a crabby mood and a bag should not do that; I prefer tote and backpack style bags.
2) The bag needs to have “feet” on the bottom and/or be made of a material I can take a Clorox wipe to should I set it on the floor at a restaurant or in the cart at Target. The first spot I usually put my purse when I get home is our kitchen island (hence, where I prepare food) and although I do clean off my kitchen surfaces, just thinking about the “what if” makes me a little ill.
3) It must have a zip closure. Because I hold my bags over my shoulder and frequently bend down to help my kids put on shoes, etc. I can not have things dumping out of my purse every time I move. This has happened to me and my cell phone came tumbling out over my shoulder and knocked me in the nose. Not fun. Funny…but no fun.
4) Inside the bag, I need compartments – several of them. One for my phone, another for my keys, a third for my point and shoot camera (I need to have a camera with me that I can compose an image with better than my phone will allow.) and a small slot for my Eos Sphere lip balm. The main compartment must be big enough for my wallet and a quick snack, like an apple. Everything else is just bonus at this point, but if any of these compartments zipped closed, that would make it even closer to perfection.
5) With all of these compartment requirements, you would think this bag would be huge, but to be more particular, I do not want luggage-sized bags for everyday use. I prefer them to fit between the space under my arm down to my hip and no larger. In fact, the shorter the better. I celebrated leaving the annoying baby bag stage by purchasing a small silver bag from Charming Charlie’s that did not zip closed, barely fit my wallet and I ended up in the situation mentioned in #3. I loved that purse, still do, but for everyday use I learned that lesson the hard way.
6) Durability is of course a requirement. I am so tired of purses that break a shoulder strap or the zipper rips. It also urkes me when the material or leather starts to tear up or come unstitched when I have used it for one season. I don’t like buying five purses a year because they can’t hold up. I would rather buy five a year because they all meet my requirements and are still cute! Seriously, who wouldn’t?
7) I also need a little funky designed into my purse. Texture, shape or bling – something that says, “I’m a creative person who wants a funky purse.” I really only switch bags with the change from cold to warm weather (or if I need to switch to a formal bag for an event or wedding), so I need something low maintenance and it has to go with the majority of my wardrobe.
8) I refuse to spend $350+ on a purse. That’s a car payment or a school loan payment. That’s a food budget at my house, not a purse. (Sorry Michael Kors, I do love you.)
Is that too much to ask from a purse or bag designer? Apparently, my friends think I have set my standards too high. I am not caving on these requirements!
I wanted to get a separate bag this year for the gym or for going out for a day adventure with my family. It needed to be a bag that would meet the majority of my requirements, be casual and sporty, hold a water bottle and have some extra space for my kids and hubby to toss in a few things for the day. I am so happy that Scrubs & Beyond is carrying the Smitten Faint of Heart quilted tote bag because it actually meets my requirements AND my desire for a gym/adventure bag! YES! (Insert happy dance…)
This black tote bag is textured with a quilted, diamond patterned, embroidered HOT pink heart detail and silver sparkly Smitten wings. YES! I am over the moon with its zip closure, plus on the front is a compartment for my water bottle! There are two internal hot pink durable mesh pockets, a small zip closure pocket and three other little gadget pockets for all of my little stuff. The bag fits between my under arm and my hip (just makes it) AND the handles seem to be durable, non-rubbing and even have hot pink stitching details. It is 100% nylon which means I can disinfect it. Plus, the price! AWESOME. I am seriously smiling from ear to ear. I am crossing my fingers it holds up!
If you are as smitten (Yes, I made that pun.) over this Smitten Faint of Heart bag as I am, please leave me a comment on this blog post about Purse Quirks. ONE of you eligible commentors will be randomly chosen on February 13, 2014 (around 10:00 CST*) to win this bag! I have to buy mine, but I am happy to give one away! So tell me, what are your bag requirements or purse quirks? If you have none, just make a comment about which one of mine you like best.
*We will announce the winner on our Facebook page, so share this post with your friends! Happy Shopping! This contest has ended!
Please note: we can only ship to US addresses at this time. Thank you! One entry/blog post comment per person please.